Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

to scared to be honest
Oct 28, 2005

I am 29 and HIV+ for 18 months. I am a single mom and seem to be depresed. I lie to my doctors and tell them all is fine when in fact i am dead on the inside. I often have days when I just wish I could go to sleep and not wake up, but my little girl keeps me going. I am scared to ask for help. I feel like I would look like a"bad mom" if anyone knew what was going on with me. I want to talk to someone I just do not know how to bring myself to do it. I live with my sister and her husband and they have know ideal what my life is really like. They know I am HIV+ but they think I am taking all this so well, single mom widow of 1yr., and HIV+ and I seem "HAPPY" to them. I am just not able to let anyone know how I feel. I am not on meds yet, but if I feel like this now what will happen when I am on meds?

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are experiencing a depression. Depression is a medical disorder that can be treated safely and effectively with antidepressant medications and psychotherapy.

Suffering from depression does not mean that you are a "bad mom" and it is nothing to feel ashamed about. It is an illness that can be treated just like any other illness. The best thing to do is to get an evaluation from a psychiatrist. If there is none available in your immediate area, speak to your general physician about it. Many physicians nowadays are familiar with the use of the antidepressants. You would also benefit from some psychotherapy, which will help you to better cope with your situation.

Getting treatment is the best thing you can do for your little girl. When you get better, she will have her "old" mom back.

Previous
Benefit of early diagnozed
Next
HIV & Gay men's domestic violence

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.