Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Benefit of early diagnozed
Oct 28, 2005

Doctor, I feel I did a high risk activity 3 months ago. I do oral sex (unprotected) while I have ulcers in my mouth.My friend suggest me to do ELISA test. I am afraid, I am not ready psychologically to receive the test result. Of course I will control my sex behaviour to prevent spread the virus to other people (with or without doing ELISA test, HIV neg or HIV pos).What is the benefit by knowing HIV status early (for individual)? Because the treatment is not started as soon as you got the result, isn't it? I just afraid that knowing I am HIV positive will lead me to depression day by day, or even start to think suicide. I am a pesimistic person. I think it will be better if I just change my lifestyle to healthy style without knowing whether I am HIV negativ or HIV positive.Please advise.Thank in advance for your anwer.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are completely correct that you should control your sexual behaviour to prevent the spread of the virus, both to yourself and to other people. If you do that you won't need to fear the consequences of unsafe sexual behavior.

While you're changing you're life, go get tested. It's better to know the results, negative or positive, rather than be left worrying.

Previous
MORAL DILEMMA
Next
to scared to be honest

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.