Benefit of early diagnozed

Doctor, I feel I did a high risk activity 3 months ago. I do oral sex (unprotected) while I have ulcers in my mouth.My friend suggest me to do ELISA test. I am afraid, I am not ready psychologically to receive the test result. Of course I will control my sex behaviour to prevent spread the virus to other people (with or without doing ELISA test, HIV neg or HIV pos).What is the benefit by knowing HIV status early (for individual)? Because the treatment is not started as soon as you got the result, isn't it? I just afraid that knowing I am HIV positive will lead me to depression day by day, or even start to think suicide. I am a pesimistic person. I think it will be better if I just change my lifestyle to healthy style without knowing whether I am HIV negativ or HIV positive.Please advise.Thank in advance for your anwer.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are completely correct that you should control your sexual behaviour to prevent the spread of the virus, both to yourself and to other people. If you do that you won't need to fear the consequences of unsafe sexual behavior.

While you're changing you're life, go get tested. It's better to know the results, negative or positive, rather than be left worrying.

MORAL DILEMMA
to scared to be honest