Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV a negative side-effect of mental illness
Oct 27, 2005

I've been treated for depression since 1993, the age of 16. Years later, after struggling with a progressive diagnosis to Bipolar and PTSD, I contracted HIV the spring of 2005. Many people wonder how I am dealing emotionally with the HIV infection. I have a great medical team; my CD4 is 1149 and VL is 81,000. There is such a perception of HIV leading to deep depression. In my situation, HIV was the kick in the pants that perhaps helped me gain the support and assistance of local support agencies. How can I manage the aggravation over the struggles I had before contracting HIV to be accepted as having a mental illness needing social support (such as employment and social relationships)? How do I find support that will focus on my history of mental illness rather than my HIV diagnosis? I have a great social worker who's guiding me to the local and county agencies I need to work with, but they are hesitant and cumbersome to work with.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You made an excellent point that people often have the perception that HIV inevitably leads to deep depression. I have been very impressed with the resiliency and hopefulness of my own patients, even when they are quite seriously ill.

The other interesting observation you made is that you don't want to be defined strictly as someone with HIV infection. There is more to you than just HIV. And in your case, you have a continuing struggle to gain control over your psychiatic problems, which preceded the HIV infection.

I can only recommend that you try to find excellent medical and mental health care from professionals who are willing to spend the time to get to know you, rather than pigeon-hole you in the category of HIV patient.

Previous
How do we help (and cope)?
Next
I feel alone

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.