Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

risk to family and friends
Aug 31, 2005

I was told that 2 family members are HIV+, and they have requested confidentiality. The 2 family members are afraid that family and freinds will treat them differently and that those with young children will possibly avoid them altogether. Are we putting others at any risk by not disclosing this secret? I am so worried about the risk to others and I feel torn between protecting them and keeping this confidence. Any advice that you could give me will be most appreciated

Response from Dr. Horwath

You need to respect your family's request for confidentiality. There is no risk to anyone who has casual contact with an HIV+ person. That includes sharing bathrooms, sharing food, kissing, hugging and other usual activities within a family or household. The only significant risk comes from unprotected sex or direct exposure to blood on unprotected and damaged skin (with cuts or abrasions).

Previous
Just Learned that Family Member is HIV positive
Next
Time to discontinue treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.