night sweats ,resperidal, combivir,viramune & hiv

I thought i was experiencing severe night sweats becuase of my hiv, for 7 years now.I recently cut my risperidal from 1 mg. to half and the night sweats stopped within a week,I take valium 5mg.x2 and very occassional half 1mg.xnax plus my combivir and viramune. My phyc. insists that i take my risperidal 1mg.or alternatevly try an antidepresant called AVANZA, i am reluctant,what can i do to stop waking up in a puddle and get a good nights rest after all the immune system needs a good amount of sleep time.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It sounds like you found the solution to the night sweats. I'm not sure why you are on the risperidone, or why your physician insists on continuing the 1 mg dose, so it's difficult for me to advise you further.

There are alternatives to risperidone. I have found that low doses of quetiapine are very helpful for HIV patients who have trouble sleeping and have other symptoms that require a drug from this class. It is usually well tolerated and has few side effects at low doses (25-50 mg at bedtime).

PML diagnosis
dexadrine, strattera, or provigil