Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another mother of HIV+ son
Aug 31, 2005

I have a son 22 HIV + and also the love of my life. I recently saw that another mother is also affected by her son's diagnosis. As mother's we want to be able to protect them and make things better and we can't with HIV. But I am trying to believe that he will have a normal life span - that is the only way I seem to get thru my days. He has a wonderful positive attitude I wish that I could have the same. Can I really have faith in the new meds and the prospect that he can have a fulfilling normal life? Or am I being unrealistic?

Response from Dr. Horwath

You can certainly have faith in the prospect that your son can have a fulfilling life. The current treatments help maintain good health and functioning and prolong life. There are many cases of people with HIV infection who have developed no illness in more than 20 years. We can't predict what will happen with your son, but you are right to be hopeful that he can have a long, productive and satisfying life. You are not being unrealistic.

Previous
What do I try next?
Next
TROUBLED PRETEEN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.