Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advice on Pursuing Relationship
Aug 31, 2005

I am a very pretty 25 year old HIV+ woman.From the time I walk out of my apartment horns honk and tires screech. I've been hit on by cops, paramedics, bus drivers and even

the husbands of my friends and family members who knows about my HIV status.

I haven't been dating for a while because my previous boyfriend contracted the virus from me although we were safe and used condoms. Unfortunately it happened. I was devasted and vowed to live like a hermit from now on. We still speak to each other but I don't want a relationship. Recently my best friends brother, who knows I'm + poured his heart out and told me he was in love with me (no he wasn't under the influence)it didn't come as a surprise because I heard his sisters mentioning it for the past several years and now that I'm not in a relationship he made his move.

This guy is a very caring and wonderful person but I could never live with myself if I infect another person, I prefer to take my own life. I am so scared, I don't know what to do. Having this guy around me seems like a blessing but on the other hand I'm having nightmares.

Should I follow my mind and keep this guy at a distance? Please help.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I don't believe that it is your responsibility to protect this man from himself. He understands your HIV status, and he is capable of deciding for himself if a relationship with you is worth the risk. By living like a "hermit," you are only depriving yourself (and maybe him) of the satisfaction of a caring and supportive relationship.

If you use appropiate precautions during sex, then you and he have done everything that you could to prevent him from becoming infected. Living in complete isolation from intimacy will only further punish you for no good reason.

Previous
Finding a psychiatrist
Next
It hurts so much

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.