The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Finding a psychiatrist

Aug 31, 2005

My LP of 18 years is poz since 91, on ART and doing fine physically. He's having panic attacks, complete loss of self esteem, severe depression, and more. We feel like we've fought HIV and for the moment have won that battle. But seeing him suffer with these other problems is getting to be incredibly painful for me and for him, too. We have private insurance (blue cross) medicare, and medi-Cal), we can find docs who do psychotropics, but we cannot find a therapist who will help for the long needed therapy. How do we find this ellusive specialist? And yes, we're in WEHO - so the fact that it's so difficult here seems particularly outrageous - but such is our experience. We both know we need help (me in coping with it , and him in terms of living with or changing it. Is this just a fairly expected or normal side effect for people who are Long Term Survivors? Seems it (HIV) ought to get easier to cope with, not more difficult as the years roll by...

Response from Dr. Horwath

These problems are not simply "expected" response to HIV. The problems you describe - panic attacks, complete loss of self esteem, severe depression - are not just reactions to having HIV. These are serious psychiatric disorders that need treatment by a professional. You can try finding a therapist through a local professional society - American Psychological Association - or a university or medical school.

Advice on Pursuing Relationship

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint