Celexa and HIV

Hey Doc:

I recently went from 20mg of Celexa to 40mg, but am still very depressed where I don't won't to do anything, see anyone or talk to anyone. I really don't think the Celexa is working.... What do you think I should do. My therapist thinks when I met with my Doctor that I should ask her for a new antidepresant. What do you think, and can you suggest one????

Thanks Bill

Response from Dr. Horwath

Celexa (citalopram) is often used at doses up to 60 mg/day. You need to stay on the dose at least 6 weeks to give it an adequate trial.

If you still don't respond, then you should talk to your doctor about another antidepressant or psychotherapy to augment the medication. In my experience, drugs such as venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are sometimes effective when an SSRI like citalopram does not work.

will remeron make me gain weight
how do I discuss blunder with spouse?????