dexadrine

Dr. Horwath I have been taking dexadrine since 1993. Recently I have had to increase the dose from 10 mg a day to 15mg. I have become very dependant on it and it scares me. I have heard a non-stimulating med-strattera. I am wondering if i were to switch to that med-would it be better since its non-stimulating? In addition if my body is addicted to dexadrine wouldn't it be wise to stop it do a completely different med like strattera-The dexdarine makes me very nervous and sometimes I get scared i may have a heart attack-I have noticed my heart racing.Please let me know your thoughts on this-Thank you so much

Response from Dr. Horwath

You didn't mention why you were taking dexedrine. It is prescribed for various reasons, including ADHD and as an adjunctive treatment for fatigue in HIV infection.

Strattera is an effective treatment for ADHD, but is not a substitute for dexedrine or other stimulants used in the adjunctive treatment of HIV infection.

By the way, taking dexedrine 10-15 mg/day does not mean that you are addicted.

Counselling related problem
Soft bipolar and meds