rep on line

i have a friend with full blown aids. she was a stripper. (some times she still strips)my problem is that she has begun to hang out at the same karoake bar as me. she is inticing all of the men that i know. dating them, trying to get them to go home and have sex with her, and even picking up men on the internet and having them fly up to be with her. this is ruing my rep at the bar. someone who hangs out there knows her aids status and told everyone. know people are criticizing me for hanging around her. she has lost all of her teeth, she has lost her vagina to cancer and is trying to get a silacone one. her aids has been ful blown for almost 3 years now. so she only has a little bit to live. but she still is picking up men. when she fixes herself up she looks like a super model and guys flock to her. people have said i ain't shit for hanging around her. i have stoped talking to her cause she won't listen. she still calls and pretends that she is taking car of her self. but others at the bar says she is still there picking up on the men who don't know. what should i do?

Response from Dr. Horwath

You didn't mention if she informs her partners about her HIV status. It is an important part of the story. If her AIDS is as advanced as you suggest, I suppose it should be clear to her sexual partneers that she is ill.

In any case, I think the main problem here is not your reputation, but the danger that she poses to her sex partners. Of course, the men at this bar have the responsibility to protect themselves from infection by practicing safe sex, ie. using condoms. Your friend's story should serve as a warning to all who read this that everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health and safety first. Having sex without protection is dangerous and self-destructive. And this is even more true for those who pick up partners at bars or in other situations that might lead to sex with strangers.

Husband Positive, I'm Negative
HIV + Male and with - female