Have to tell a close friend he is HIV+

I work at an HIV testing facility and on Monday I must tell a co-worker that he is HIV+. What is your advice on how to best give the results? In or out of the office? With one of our HIV case managers present (as is our practice for others who get HIV positive results)? We work in a very small facility with fewer than 12 employees and we are all fairly close. Should he choose to disclose his status to others at the agency, any recommendations on special support we may all need?

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should definitely do this with an HIV counselor present. Your co-worker may or may not need additional help to cope with the news. There is no way to predict that right now. If he does have trouble managing, then it's best to steer him to the appropriate counseling or therapy, rather than try to do it yourself. As a co-worker, you can certainly be supportive, but you might be too close to be objective in some circumstances.

Partnered to HIV+ Man - Myself Just Tested +
Partner Depression before Doctor visits