Partnered to HIV+ Man - Myself Just Tested +

6 months ago I began dating a great friend of 5 years. We were instantly in love and enjoyed every minute of our time together. 3 months into our romance he informed me that he tested positive several months before we got together, and that I was the first person he told.

Having seen an ex die many years pervious, I had always told myself that I couldn't date another HIV+ man. I was forced to make a decision, and chose to stick by him.

We have always been safe, ensuring that my negative status stayed that way. 2 days ago that changed. After spending 7 days in the hospital for a very aggressive MRSA staph infection I was informed by my doctor that I tested +.

Even though I knew there was a risk I am completely floored, and have been severely depressed. I just started seeing a specialist and am awaiting results, and have a therapist which I regularly talk to...but don't feel like that is enough.

So I guess my question is what do other people who find themselves in my similar situation do to keep themselves looking forward to life without having a big HIV slap them in the face?

Response from Dr. Horwath

There is no single answer that works for everyone. However, it is useful to remember that good treatment can allow you to have a productive life for years to come. You are doing the right thing to seek therapy. Some forms of psychotherapy, such as cognitive therapy and interpersonal therapy, are particularly helpful for depression. If your depressed mood persists, you should consider a psychiatric consultation. You may be a candidate for antidepressant treatment as well.

I hope that you find what you need. Even though it is a difficult diagnosis, life should continue to hold hope for you.

What can I do to help my +partner 's depression?
Have to tell a close friend he is HIV+