How can I help?

My brother was very recently diagnosed with HIV. Do you have any suggestions of how I can best support him in this very traumatic adjustment period?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You should read alot in order to become well informed about HIV disease and share the material you are reading with him so that he can learn to become an exquisitely educated consumer of his own health care. Then do not treat him any differently than you have always treated him. It is crucial not to let this or any other disease become the sole way a human being becomes defined. Then talk to him about what he wants from you and how you can be most supportive. He will be the expert in this area. But this is not a one time conversation, and will need to happen periodically over the course of the illness. Reassure him that you love him and will always be there for him.

Best of luck during this very difficult time.

MIchael Shernoff, MSW

HIV+ And Antidepressant Medications
How strong can my mind be?