DEPRESSION&AIDS

Dear doctor,

Im positive since 1999 and with serious depression problem. I took efexor, zolofot, prozac and benzodiazepines like valium, alprozolam, etc... So, my question is: Is it dangerous for my diagnostic positive for HIV, the depression? What is the relation between depression and Aids? How depression could affect my viral load and CD4?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Depression can have adverse effects on the course of a medical condition such as HIV infection. Studies have shown that depressed people are less likely to adhere to there HAART medications and may have worse outcomes as a result. Studies have not shown any direct effects of depression on viral load or CD4 count.

Depression affects motivation, concentration, energy, appetite and sleep. These effects worsen the quality of life of anyone, with or without another medical illness like HIV. The important point here is that we have excellent, effective and safe treatments for depression. Good treatment can prevent the adverse effects that depression can have on the course of HIV infection and AIDS.

marijuana and hiv
dementia or aging - I'm forgetting stuff