HIV positive and can't find counsellor

Since testing positive 8 months ago I have been unable to find a counsellor that I like. I am a highly intelligent and educated man and can't seem to relate well to those with lesser intellecutal gifts. This has been the issue with all five of the counsellor's I've tried. I have essentially given up. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm not sure what type of counseling that you are seeking, but there are plenty of intelligent and well-trained psychologists and psychiatrists available. You can contact the American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, or a local university or medical school for referrals.

The qualities of empathy and understanding are probably just as important as intelligence for purpose of psychotherapy (perhaps more so). And I don't think it matters if you are more intelligent than your therapist. After all, therapy is not a contest to see who's smarter, but a process to help you solve some problems with the aid of a trained professional. Perhaps your difficulty relating to people with lesser intellectual gifts is part of the problem that needs to be addressed.

CD4 LESS THAN 180
Supporting my partner