Suggestions for Counsel in NY

I have a friend who lives in WESTBURY, NY and is in dire need of a caring compassionate, knowledgable counselor or psychiatrist. She has been trying and trying...to no avail to find someone to help her thru an extremely difficult time,she was diagnosed HIV last year. Has gone to 3 counselors since January and has VALID reasons why they didnt work out...Part-time time constraints, too religious, and conflict of interest. This girl is drowning and people are throwing her anchors. I am really concerned. I live in another state and feel helpless. I have tried repeatedly to get information on HIV Counselors off the net...I emailed two Organizations in NY but am getting no where myself. Can you provide me with a list of names of counselors, for that area, so I can pass them on to her...and she will have choices?

Here are issues to help find the right person for her:

Recently HIV diagnosed BiPolar Manic Depressive Mad at God Some major issues..suicidal at times

She is in a real crisis right now and I am concerned for her mental health and that she is unable to find appropriate counseling.

If you have any suggestions or referrals or ideas...could you email me, so that I can forward to my friend

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) manintains a referral list of psychiatrists in specific geographic areas, and with areas of specialty. You can get information at their website: www.psych.org

Alternatively, your friend can contact the local branch, the New York District Branch of the APA, to see if they can provide a referral.

In case of an acute crisis (if she is feeling suicidal), she should go directly to an emergency room at a hospital to get an emergency evaluation.

How good is good enough - changing psych meds
Possible not to share status w/ family?