DEPRESSION ALL TIME

Dear doctor,

Since I discovered positive - 1999 - depression an anxiety are a problem in my life. I tried therapy, medicines like efexor, prozac, zoloft and benzodiazepines. And nothing. I tried to kill myself and now my doctor has given me Durapac (Prozac 90 mg) and Valium for I have insomnia. Do you know new treatments for HIV people with depression.

My best regards

Response from Dr. Horwath

There are many other treatments fro depression in people like yourself, who have failed to respond to several drug trials. There are new medications available (like Cymbalta) and adjunctive treatments (like adding lithium or another medication to boost the effectiveness of the antidepressant). Medications such as Zyprexa, Geodon and Abilify have been used successfully to augment the effects of antidepressants (although they do not have an FDA indication for this type of use).

Consult an expert in the treatment of depression, and you should be able to get effective help.

Can HIV damage the brain
Anxiety from nerve damage?