can't concentrate and sad

Hi Dr,

I just wanted to find out what you think of how I am feeling. I have known for 1 year now that I am infected. I am a 26 year old woman with a 7 year old son (not infected). Since my ex and I broke up, he started a new relationship. We broke up(a very nasty break up. We were blaming each other for getting infected. I started to see him again even though he started a relationship with someone else and moved her in 2 months after we separated. He has since stopped talking to me all of a sudden in the beginning of Feb. I know in my heart that this is not healthy. But I can't help but sit and think all the time as to why he has done this to me. I just feel like I can't move on, like I can't be with anyone else. I would never want to bring an innocent person into my life for them to suffer. Am I crazy? I feel like I can't function at times and like he is the only person in the world for me. At the same time if this is true why would he be so mean to me?

Response from Dr. Horwath

If he has moved in with someone else and is refusing to speak with you, then he has moved on with his life. We don't know why he has done this, but at this point, it would be much healthier for you to try to move on to the important tasks of taking care of yourself and your son.

You are not crazy, but you do need some help to move on with your own life. Get yourself involved with an HIV support group, or a group that provides help to those who have had a break-up of a relationship. If you don't make some progress, then perhaps you need some individual therapy to help you get past this, or an evaluation to determine if some psychiatric treatment is indicated.

Obsessed with HIV/AIDS
OCD & HIV Meds