The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently Diagnosed

Mar 9, 2005

I was diagnosed as HIV+ about 6 months ago and started meds about 1 month ago. I have a partner of about 4 years who is negative.

During this time, I have been having bouts of depression, which is normal I would assume, but it doesn't seem like I can get out of this rut. I have been looking into counseling, but was wondering which direction to take - psychologist, LCSW,Licensed Professional Counselor - what's the difference? I have done some research on counselors in my city - there is a list published by the local HIV/AIDS center of recommended counselors - only two of them are covered by my insurance, and they are LCSW. Should I go with the recommended list, or look for a PhD that is covered by my insurance? When calling an office, should I divulge my initial concerns right away - these being HIV+, my partner is negative, low sex drive, etc.?

Thanks for your insight.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm sure the HIV/AIDS center recommends counselors because they have an interest in HIV and the associated problems. Your best bet is to interview several therapists and choose based upon your level of comfort with them. Therapy is most effective when there is a good rapport between the patient and therapist.

Pregnant - never tested - worried
SO SCARED about HIV-only 15-at the point of severe depression!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint