Very Confused, please help

Hello Doctor, I was diagnosed in August of 2004, went to the doctor asap, put on meds( kaletra & truvada) my #'s now are 398 tcells & undectable. He says I am on the right path & to keep up what I am doing. But, I still get worried, up & down on a roller coaster of emotions. I hear that now, we can live a " normal lifespan" under close doctors care, this is no longer a death sentence, but its a manageable disease, like diabetes for instance. I know we don't have a crystal ball to see into the future, but, is there any hope? That the meds can keep you going & stall the virus for some time? I also hear that some trial studies are being conducted over seas on a vaccine, can you shed some light on that please. Thank you for your help.....

Response from Dr. Horwath

We know that antiretroviral treatment is very effective when all the doses are taken as prescribed. The multidrug cocktails that are the standard for current therapy have been available since 1995. What we can say with confidence is that mortality and morbidity due to HIV infection has dramatically decreased as a result. Many people who are on HAART have done extremely well and you have good reason to be hopeful about your own prognosis. However, we cannot predict what will happen in the course of any one person's infection.

There is research underway attempting to develop a vaccine, but it appears that it will be some time before we progress to a safe and effect vaccine.

Friend with AIDS having 5th baby
Should I worry that my whole family may be infected?