Friend with AIDS having 5th baby

I have a friend that is HIV poz (and husband). She is a wonderful person, and I am the only person (family and friend) that knows she is poz. However, she is having her 5th baby, and I am not happy about it because, if anything happens to them, then I am responsible for the children. I am really upset because I maybe left with 5 children to care for. She had the virus for apprx 8-9 years and doing very well. My question is: How long does it takes before a person get AIDS? Will she live to see them reach the age of 25-30 years old. I want their children to be raised by them, because they are the best for the children. Also, she needs to realize that she is living with HIV.

Should I tell or to STOP having all of these babies? I feel that she has no consideration for her children such as, possibility of death. This is not fair to the children. However, the children are all NEG.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Whether she has children and how many is completely up to your friend. You may not approve, but the choice is hers (as it is for all of us). You are correct to say that the decison to have children should not be taken lightly, but it is still up to your friend to decide.

There is no good prediction as to when (or if) she will develop AIDS. Some people live for many years with the infection without becoming ill. The average time between infection and development of AIDS is approximately 10 years in the absence of treatment. However, with today's effect antiretroviral treatment, we don't know an upper limit for how long the illness can be prevented.

Mother of an HIV+ son
Very Confused, please help