The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

five years since exposure, but still worried

Feb 19, 2005

Hi. I performed oral sex on a man one time five years ago, and I do not know his status. Although I had been previously diagnosed with herpes, I decided to get tested for hiv after an outbreak five months after the possibly exposure. The results were negative. After getting tested I developed alot of guilt and became depressed. I also experienced other symptoms of possible infection: severe headache, neck ache, loss of appetite and weight, tiny pin prick dots under my skin. The symptoms went away after a while (a month or so). I haven't been really sick or anything since then. My doctor said I did not have viral meningitis, although she did not perform a test. I had no fever. Can anxiety and stress even after negative results cause symptoms to appear? Do you think I should get retested?

Please help me decide what to do--I'm so scared of getting tested again.


Response from Dr. Horwath

A negative test 5 months after an exposure is about as reliable an indicator as you can get about your HIV status. Oral sex is a fairly low risk exposure (although not zero risk). The symptoms that you experienced are not due to HIV infection. Yes, they could be due to anxiety. If you've had other exposures, then you should get tested again.

Most importantly, don't expose yourself to HIV infection. Practice safe sex!

Thanks for good advice
Drug testing?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint