Feb 19, 2005
I was also diagnosed bipolar a while ago and was on carbamazepine. Had to stop due to a bad liver enzyme alteration (TGO).
Since I am also HIV posite (no indication for HAART - viral load 80k and CD4 434)I would like to know about my options for bipolar disorder threatment. I fear that liver toxity is going to be an issue when I start HAART.
| Response from Dr. Horwath
One of the best treatments for bipolar disorder is lithium, which is not metabolized by the liver, and does not cause or aggravate liver toxicity. For lithium therapy, you need to be in treatment with and monitored by a psychiatrist.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Vaginal Discharge After Getting Fingered Worried I Have HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- Are Red Bumps All Over The Body A Sign Of An Std?
- Irritation On Penis Tip After Sex Chlamydia Sti
- Accuracy Of 5 Weeks Hiv Test Using 4th Generation Duo
- Bleeding While Giving Oral Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.