Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Encephalopathy treatment?
Feb 14, 2005

I'm 48 yrs old and have been positive since 81 (by history) with no incidence of OIs. During the last 7 years I have been on three different cocktails. Recent testing shows that I am resistant to all NRTIs, however with Sustiva/Viread/Epivir combo I have been undetectable for a year now. I have recently been given a dx of encephalopathy following MRI and lumbar puncture ruling out other conditions. Since 97 I have not been able to raise my T-cell count above 100. As AZT has already been used, would you comment on possible combos of meds that might reduce the memory loss and inability to concentrate? My understanding is that Sustiva already penetrates the blood/brain barrier so would a change in meds be beneficial considering that my viral load has been undetectable? Thank you. Greg

Response from Dr. Horwath

The answer to your question is not clear. We do know that maintaining an undetectable viral load is the best predictor of non-progression of encephalopathy. People with high viral loads (especially with high CSF viral loads) are more likely to have progression of cognitive impairments. However, some people develop cognitive symptoms even on an effective HAART regimen.

There is no evidence that some regimens are better than others with respect to treating encephalopathy. Some of the ART drugs penetrate the blood-brain barrier more efficiently (eg. AZT, lamivudine, stavudine, nevirapine, indinavir) than others, but there is no good evidence to show that they are more effective at treating encephalopathy.

Previous
HIV Dementia
Next
HIV? or......CMV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.