Take the Test!

Mine is not so much a question as a plea. For 14 years I have been living in fear of having contracted the HIV virus after discovering my boyfriend (with whom I'd stupidly had unprotected sex for several months)had previously been an IV drug user. Our relationship ended and we lost contact. In the 14 years since that happened I have cried, tortured myself, my family, my husband (of 12 years now) and my friends with my fear that I am HIV+. A few times I went for tests but was unable to face going back to get results. Last Saturday, a swollen lymph gland was the last straw and I knew that this couldn't go on any longer and I had to face my fear. I took councelling before being tested and armed myself with the phone numbers I would need should i face a pos result. My test was negative. Not only has my life changed overnight, so has the lives of my loved ones. I am a different person. The ironic thing is that by the time my results were ready, I was prepared for anyting. Although I was lucky, I absolutely believe that a positive result would have been less distressing than what I have put myself through. So when I urge those of you fearing the test to go ahead, I don't do this from the comfort of my negative status but from the relief I felt - even before my results were through - that I had finally tackled my demons. Good luck.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I could not have said any more eloquently.

Anyone who is concerned about their HIV status should take the test!

Bi-Polar Dx and Depakote
Small Town Blues