AIDS DEMENTIA...DRUGS AVAILABLE

I HAVE AIDS DEMENTIA AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MEDICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO TREAT THIS IF ANY... I AM PRESENTLY ON LAMICTAL AS I AM BI POLAR BUT NOTHING IS BEING DONE TO RETARD THE DEMENTIA...SO MY QUESTION IS THERE DRUG THERAPY AVAILABLE FOR US AFFILICTED.... THANKS

Response from Dr. Horwath

The good news is that an effective antiretroviral medication regimen can reverse many of the symptoms of HIV-associated dementia. Cognitive improvement is associated with HAART regimens that successfully reduce the viral load, especially with reduction to undetectable levels.

The best course is to make sure to take all of the prescribed doses of your antiretroviral medications, and follow-up regularly with your doctor to make sure that your viral load has dropped in response to treatment. If not, you may want to discuss an alternative regimen with your doctor.

my mom is in the last stages of aids
Bi-Polar Dx and Depakote