Lymphogranuloma and Depression

For many years even before my HIV diagnosis i fought with depression. So far no medication worked very well for very long for the depression and i am not on any hiv medication. Both are untreated at the moment. Life circumstances brought everything as i knew it to a stop and redirection in 1996. It was the year i became infected - and i believe those things with the depression are the "reasons" i "let" myself become infected. Things got worse and i was on the street at one point. Each time i thought things couldn't get worse they did. Then prostituting whenever i could, i managed to contract every other STD there is - or so i thought. Then the other week i was diagnosed in an e.r. with lymphogranuloma venerea. It is very painful and so far i've found no dr. outside the e.r. who has even heard of it. Until now i have been able to hide my hiv from anyone who knows me, since i would likely find myself back on the street if they did right now. But this std might make it harder for me to hide. i am always bleeding and in pain. i don't want to die this way and if i don't, it probably will leave me scarred and with a worse nervous condition than present. i need help with all these issues. and i am writing because while i really do find this website which i was just yesterday told of very helpful, i am also at the very end now and am asking for help from anyone i think can. i am 32 years old and getting ready to give up for the last time if no one can help me this time. thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Lymphogranuloma venereum is a previously rare STD, which has recently been reported to be increasingly found in some European countries, and 2 cases have been reported in New York City. Because it is uncommon, many doctors may not have experience recognizing and treating it. You need to contact your local department of health or an experienced infectious disease specialist to help you with the treatment of this condition, and the treatment of your HIV infection.

Also, contact a community mental health center or a psychiatrist for treatment of your depression. Depression is a highly treatable condition, and if past treatments did not work, this does not mean that treatment will be ineffective for you. Most treatments fail due to inadequate doses or inadequate time of treatment. Try again. Above all, don't lose hope. There is effective help available, but you do need to look and advocate for yourself, or get a friend to advocate for you.

HIV. Can it effect the brain?
my mom is in the last stages of aids