What does this mean?

I work for a psychiatric rehabilitation (day) program and I have a new client with HIV and here is what I received from the psychiatrist's office records but I don't know what it really means. I want to be as informed as possible as to how he feels and what he needs to make him as comfortable as possible. Also, will he be safe to be without medical staff for 5 hours a day? -Diagnosed in 1992, has been intermittently compliant with antiretriviral medications,CD4 count of 152 (in July '04)potential HIV dementia , has Peripheral neuropathy(I know what that is) and his last viral count, noted in 7/04 was 112,000. Also, what stage would you estimate he is in from this information?

Response from Dr. Horwath

The CD4 count and viral load are very outdated, and by themselves they don't tell you how to manage this patient from your perspective.

The important information is to get a history of his past illness, especially whether he has had CNS complications (like CNS toxo, meningitis), history of drug or alcohol abuse, prior psychiatric illness. Then he should be assessed for dementia, including an assessment as to what his capacity to function is (ability to work, communicate, take care of self on daily basis, etc). It is important to work on complicance with him. If you're able to help him to improve compliance to >90%, then this may be a life saving intervention.

Insomnia and depression
Muscle twitching & DNA PCR test