Bi-Polar

I am HIV+ and diagnosed as Bi-Polar II, Psych has put me on Depakote 250mg for 4 days, and then 500mg for now. what is the normal dosage and risks?

I also know that my HIV infection was due to unprotected sex during a period of depression.

Foster

Response from Dr. Horwath

Normal doses of Depakote range from 250 - 2000 mg/day. Larger daily doses are usually divided into several doses per day. The appropriate dose depends metabolism, other drugs being taken, liver function, side effects, response and blood levels.

The main risk of depakote is liver toxicity, which occurs in only a very small percentage of people. The risk is low in adults who have healthy livers (ie. who have never had hepatitis or other types of liver disease). If you develop symptoms of fatigue, malaise, anorexia, nausea, jaundice, or liver tenderness, you should consult your doctor immediately to be evaluated for toxicity.

transmission to kids question
Organic Dementia