Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

transmission to kids question
Jan 20, 2005

I tested positive about 2 1/2 years ago, and was told I probably had HIV for about 10 years. My question is this: I am married with two children. My wife and kids have tested negative. I count myself and my family lucky, but don't understand how that can be possible, and am always waiting for someone to start showing symptoms-would this have happened by now? My wife has been tested at least 2x,and came back negative, but what about the kids?

Response from Dr. Horwath

If your wife and kids have tested negative, then they will not develop symptoms (unless, God forbid, they are infected in the future).

You can be positive and your wife negative because the risk of HIV transmission is based on many factors. These factors include the use of condoms, the frequency of sex, types of sexual acts (oral vs. vaginal vs anal), viral load, presence of other sexually transmitted diseases, etc.

I agree that your wife and children are blessed by not being infected.

Previous
injection of hiv
Next
Bi-Polar

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.