injection of hiv

I was injected with a needle with hiv positive blood and methamphetamine 3 months ago. It has to do with gangs. Thats all i feel like saying about it. So my question, Once hiv enters the bloodstream does it automatically mean i am HIV +? What are the chances that i am not positive? Thank you. I know i will have to get tested soon this is driving me crazy.

Response from Dr. Horwath

No, just being exposed to HIV does not mean that you are HIV+. I'm not sure how you know that the needle had HIV contamination. However, it may well be that it did not. Also, exposures to small amount of HIV may be cleared by the immune system.

Being HIV+ means that there is evidence of some antibodies to HIV present in your blood. The presence of these antibodies indicates an ongoing infection with HIV.

What you need to do is get an HIV antibody test. This will tell you if you are infected with HIV or not.

VIRAMUNE AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS
transmission to kids question