Losing control

Hello Your site is wonderful for those of us suffering with this.

I am 42, straight and Poz about 6 years. Fairly healthy and doing pretty good on meds. I find myself, going through bouts of depression now (that I didn't have a few months ago). Could the medication contribute to this? I take no anti-depressants presently and am not in any kind of therapy. I thought I could deal, but I feel myself slipping away. Are there support groups for straight people out there? I have been in one with gay men and it helped a lot in the early years, but I need more help from someone who can understand the hetero element of this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You didn't mention which antiretrovirals you are taking. The most common cause of depression among the antiretrovirals is efavirenz (Sustiva). If you have no prior history of depression, and it began shortly after starting on Sustiva, then you should consult with your HIV doctor to see whether this is a likely cause and whether it is reasonable to consider an alternative (such as nevirapine), which was found to be similarly effective in the 2NN study, but not associated with a high risk for depression.

Wondering
please please help