HIV, psychosis, and health insurance

I have an acquaintance who has been HIV+ for 6 years without receiving treatment because he doesn't have health insurance. He is currently in an abusive relationship, has an addiction to gambling and recently began to display symptoms of psychosis. He is very paranoid and is having delusions of persecution. I am very concerned for his health and would like to know what would be the best thing I can do to help him. What are some good resources that I can refer him to, to get health coverage and treatment?

Response from Dr. Horwath

If he is not insured because he is indigent, then he may qualify for Medicaid, which should cover treatment for HIV infection. Also, there are programs, such as ADAP, which provide coverage for some of the costs of treatment for HIV/AIDS. Contact a social service agency in your area to find out what is available locally, and what the qualifications are.

Some states have mental health treatment systems that may provide treatment for a serious mental disorder such as your friend is experiencing.

Disclosure of HIV +ve status
Wondering