Life expectancy HIV/AIDS

Hello

My question applys to a common response to the question about life expectancy of people diagnosed with hiv and those diagnosed with aids. With proper meds, adherence, and care for oneself what does the common answer you will live healthy for many yrs mean. You may think 5 yrs is many i really don't but others may agree. I just would like to know. Also w/in the next 5 yrs will their be any breakthroughs as far as helping people live better and longer with hiv? Would love to here your thoughts. Myself poz 5 yrs no meds t cell 380 vl 36,000, no other health concerns, 25 yrs old. How do people in my situation plan for a future, should we really believe there is a future out there for us to be had?

Response from Dr. Horwath

I have personally treated a number of people who have had HIV infection for more than 20 years, and hundreds of patients who have had HIV infection for more than 10 years.

With the introduction of HAART in 1995-96, there was a dramatic drop in mortality in those with AIDS. At this point, there is reason for optimism for people who take HAART, have >90% adherence, and follow other health care recommendations. We are now seeing a number of patients who have been on HAART for years and have suffered no HIV related complications.

There is no way to accurately predict life expectancy for any one individual. Too many variable are involved, and we are not able to predict the future.

Fear of HIV Virus
HIV+ with Low grade headache