Memory loss

I'm Pos and on HAART. VL~600, and CD4~550. Meds don't seem to be bringing VL to <50. I seem to forget incidents and information, and my short-term memory for data is like a sieve. Two days ago I was very irritable and upset, with thoughts of quitting my job. Lately have been waking up every 2-hrs at night. I get night-sweats. Could all of this be the virus? What should I do?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Insomnia and night sweats are fairly common symptoms of HIV infection. As for your memory, your own impression of your memory is often a poor guide to the actual extent of memory retention or loss. You should get a test of short-term memory and other tests of concentration, attention and speed of information processing to determine if you have any objective signs of memory impairment. Consult your HIV physician for help with these problems.

There are multiple possible causes of impaired concentration, which may interfere with testing and appear like memory problems. You mentioned irritability, which might be a sign of depression or some other psychiatric problem. You may also benefit from consulting a psychiatrist for an evaluation.

Should I seek professional counseling
first pregnancy: anxiety or hiv +