Recently diagnosed HIV+ and emotions are like a sine wave

I Found out I was HIV+ Oct 18, 2004. Even though I know that I only need to be monitored for now and have many years before I have to start any HIV regiments. I still feel scared, worried, etc. Why do i feel this way?

Even though I have been reading the book from the state health dept, and "The Guide to Living with HIV Infection" a very good book.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It is natural to feel frightened and worried when learning of HIV infection. Although you are currently healthy, and are likely to remain healthy and not require treatment for years, this is a source of anxiety and fear for most people when informed of having HIV.

I would advise seeking some help from a local organization that provides support for people with HIV infection. If that is not available, consult a psychiatrist or psychotherapist. Talking about your fear with a professional may help you to put it into better perspective and gain some control over it.

Persistent anxieties. Can you help?
Should I seek professional counseling