Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Persistent anxieties. Can you help?
Nov 17, 2004

Dear Dr. Horwath, I wonder if you could take the time to help me get a handle on my extreme and (I am told) irrational HIV fears. I am an otherwise healthy, productive professional who developed a habit of visiting strip clubs while out of town. Each time I return home with persistent anxieties about relatively low risk incidental contact in the club. Things like light kissing freak me out. Just last week a stripper scratched at the top of my bald head while dancing for me and I have begun to obsess on thoughts like this, "What if she touched herself (which I think she did) just prior to scratching me?" I did not notice skin broken upon return to the hotel, but I can't shake the thought. Also, I kissed the tip of her nose, which was running quite a lot I noticed later. What if her nasal fluid got on my lip? These are haunting me.

I know I can get a test in 10 weeks or so, but somehow I do not feel this is my problem. I am married and wracked with guilt. I am afraid to have sex with my wife. Should I tell her and protect her? Or does this pose an even greater risk to my marriage than my activities do to her/our health? How do I get over this anxiety?

If you could be so kind... 1. am I at risk for HIV? 2. what causes this irrational fear? 3. how do I get it to stop?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Studies show that AIDS caretakers, who have much closer personal contact with AIDS patients than you have described, are not at elevated risk of developing HIV infection.

The activities that you described do not put you at risk for HIV infection.

Previous
Stop taking Neurontin and gone Crazy
Next
Recently diagnosed HIV+ and emotions are like a sine wave

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.