Stop taking Neurontin and gone Crazy

First I must admit that I have been under a lot of distress emotionally. But recently I agreed to be assess for a clinical trial that looks at peripharal neurophathy in HIV positive patients. Part of the assessment involves being taken off of all PN related medications. I was taking 1600 mg of neurontin QD, which was abruptly discontinued. Now I have been very irratable/agitated, tearful and extremely depressed. I was wondering if my body may be going through withdrawls from longterm use of neurontin, just as it did when I abruptly discontinued marinol? Have you ever heard of this type of reaction to Marinol?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Neurontin should not be abruptly discontinued for exactly the reason you have described. It has powerful effects on emotions, and abrupt discontinuation can cause the type of irritable, agitated mood and emotionality that you describe. This is not technically "withdrawal," but it is a reaction to the sudden change in the levels of the neurontin.

Marinol may also cause emotional changes when suddenly stopped after prolonged use.

HIV, anger and control of my life
Persistent anxieties. Can you help?