Low Grade Fever

Dear Dr. A couple of weeks ago I had flu like symptoms, diarreaha, vomiting and fever. It lasted for approximately two days. Not long before that illness (maybe a week or two) I had unprotected sex with another man. Since the illness I have had intermittent low grade fever (.1 to .4 degrees above normal). I have heard that flu like symptoms can occur immediately after being infected with HIV. Also I have heard that once infected you will have intermittent low grade fevers. Could I be infected. I know you will tell me to go get tested, but I will need to wait six months for the test to be most accurate. Please help, I am worrying myself sick over this. Could the low grade fever be due to the HUGE amount of stress I am currently under at work. Also, I hear that swollen lymp glands in the groin and neck are symptoms. What does a swollen lymph node in the groin feel like, is it small, large, painfull????

Please help. Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should go get tested. If your symptoms are related to HIV, then your test will confirm this. If not, then you will be relieved.

More importantly, you can save yourself from this type of unnecesary anxiety by refraining from having unprotected sex. You cannot prevent the infection after the fact, only by taking appropriate precautions beforehand.

Depression/cancer/HIV
massage and HIV