Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Paranoia relating to aging, and inevitably dying
Oct 30, 2004

Hello Dr. Horwath,

I'd like to thank you generously for answering my question, as you've been a testimony to the good will of people, especially in the medical community!

My question is relating to getting older, and thinking of myself in the context of tomorrow, or the day after. Everytime I picture myself in this way, I'm quickly submerged in brief panic attacks and feeling dizzy.

I'd also like to know one more thing, if possible, does aging adversely affect the brain, and if so at what age? I read somewhere that after the age of 20, your brain loses a small amount of mass every year after 20.

Thank you so very much for answering my question, I'm deeply pleased that you're willing to share your time with troubled people. You're among the finest doctors in the world!

Response from Dr. Horwath

There certainly are changes in the body and the brain with aging. However, the brain changes that result in significant cognitive impairment are related to various disease states. For example, the most common causes of dementia in people over 65 (in the U.S.) are Alzheimer's disease and cerebrovascular disease. These disease cause specific changes in the brain that lead to impaired ability to perform cognitive tasks and imapired ability to function normally. Older people who do not have these or other illnesses are likely to be able to function normally.

Previous
13 years positive
Next
mr

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.