The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why live on....

Sep 16, 2004

I have had symptoms of acute HIV for over a week and decided to take a viral load test. It's been 19 days since the possible infection (when a condom broke with someone in latin america) as they have stated this is the qucikest way to know if you are possibly infected. However my mental state has been overwhelming... also dealing with constent headaches, lack of sleep, fatigue sore muscles and just the waiting of these results is overbearing. On top of that my significant at home develped mono type symptoms -- if I am positive I more then likely gave her HIV as we've had unprotected sex. This is terrible if my tests come back positive -- and honestly I could not live with myself.

Response from Dr. Horwath

If you had a viral load test done, then you should know for sure whether or not you have been infected. Headaches, fatigue and sore muscles are among the signs of acute HIV infection, but they may also have dozens of other causes, including a cold or other viral infection.

Before you decide that you can't live with yourself, get the test results. If you are fortunate enough to be HIV negative, then this should be a wake-up call about having multiple sexual partners and unprotected sex. If you would like to protect yourself and those you care for, then use protection all the time and avoid having multiple partners.

Symptons to HIV? Or Anxiety?
Husband just diagnosed positive wife negative need help for children

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint