No help from 6 anti depressants

I have had no luck with 6 different anti depressants from zoloft to celexa and effexor. I am a type A personality(over 20 years poz without any illness) who for 3 years has had no motivation to do much of anything. It is ruining my life. I dont know what direction to take next.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You need a consultation with a psychiatrist who is an expert in the treatment of depression. It may be that you did not have adequate doses. You may require trials of other medications. There are many more than 6 antidepressants, and some of the antidepressants belong to different classes of drugs that are effective when others have failed. For example, tricyclic antidepressants and MAO inhibitors are medications that are quite effective, but sometimes overlooked because not all psychiatrists have experience using them. If you seen a psychiatrist with experience in the pharmacologic treatment of depression, you are very likely to be helped.

Missed Dose and other issues
sustiva on the brain