Mental Recovery Assistance
Aug 25, 2004
Dr Ewald I need your help. I suffer from extreme anxiety and fear even after repeated testing negative up to 5 months. I devised a way i could help myself. I drew up a list of questions that always make me worried. If you could answer these questions with yr expert definative knowledge, i believe this question and answer thing that i devised can help me in my recovery from mental torture cause i can refer to it whenever i have anxiety attacks and calm myself. I do recommend ppl in my plight to do the same and correspond with their doctors as there is no specialist in my country, Doctor Ewald, I need your help. Here are the questions.
1) Under what Circumstances would a follow up test be recommended by the doctor/expert after the patient continues to have a 5 or 6 months negative test
2) Do rapid elisa tests exist and are they just as accurate as test results which take two weeks to receive ?
4) If a person starts antiretroviral drugs very early, can they expect a normal life expectancy ?
I can take the answers no matter how negative they are, it's the doubts of having unanswered questions which truly bogs me. Help me.
Response from Dr. Horwath
If you have repeated negative tests 5-6 months after a known exposure, then there is no need for further follow-up testing.
Yes, rapid Elisa test are now commercially available and they are quite accurate.
Antiretroviral treatments are started according to some established guidelines. Starting them earlier than these guidelines suggest is not considered to be an effective use of the treatment. We know that life expectancy is prolonged with the current HAART regimens, when they are taken as prescribed.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Cough After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
- Is Dry Patches On My Penis A Sign Of Std?
- Std That Causes Chest Pain
- What Stds Causes Penis Irritation?
- Can Other Blood Work Tell You If You Have Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.