Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV fear, am i hypochondriac. 4th try please answer.
Aug 25, 2004

Dr. Ewald, First of all God bless you mighty for doing the great work. Please do not ignore my question this time. Would celexa have any immunosuppresant effects there by inhibiting or slowing down the production of antibodies. I got tested negative like ten days ago after eight months of exposure, Elisa test. I have been on antidepressants(Celexa 20mg) for the past two years now. Could u please tell me if taking celexa would have affected the test result(by not producing the antibodies), or will it affect the window period. If it affects then what should i do. Is there any definite way of ruling out HIV in my case. I m ready to get any test done, coz. i lost everything till now and i dont want to destroy myself.

Please answer. Thank you in advance.

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date when i got tested, Jun 20th, 2004

Been on anti depressant(celexa 20 mg) medication since Feb 2002.

Ur answer would help me a lot, and also please suggest me if i should directly check for the virus itself, if the medication might inhibit the prodution of antibodies, like cd4/cd8, PCR so that this can be ruled out definitely and also out of my mind. Thank you. I m not worried about myself, i m more worried about me passing the infection(if at all i have) to my fiance without my knowledge. thats why i m trying to make sure.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Celexa does not interfere with the HIV antibody test. If you were exposed in October 2003 and tested negative in June 2004, then you definitely were not infected by that exposure.

Also, if you are concerned about exposing your fiance, then the thing to do is to use precautions during sex. Your anxiety about your HIV status and repeated testing will not protect your fiance, but the use of condoms will.

Previous
Dementia Question
Next
HOW CAN PARTNER/CARE GIVER HELP TO LIFT SPIRITS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.