two years on antidepressants and testing

Dr. Ewald,

I got tested negative like ten days ago after eight months of exposure, Elisa test. I have been on antidepressants(Celexa) for the past two years now. Could u please tell me if taking celexa would have affected the test result(by not producing the antibodies), or will it affect the window period. If it affects then what should i do. Is there any definite way of ruling out HIV in my case. I m ready to get any test done, coz. i lost everything till now and i dont want to destroy myself.

Please answer. Thank you in advance.

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date when i got tested, Jun 20th, 2004

Been on anti depressant(celexa 20 mg) medication since Feb 2002.

Ur answer would help me a lot, and also please suggest me if i should get any cd4/cd8, PCR so that this can be ruled out definitely and also out of my mind. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The time between your exposure and your HIV test was more than 8 months. A negative test after 8 months should be highly reassuring to you. This is long past the window period; >90% of those infected will have a positve HIV antibody test within 2-3 months.

Taking an antidepressant such as Celexa does not interfere with the production of antibodies or with the Elisa or Western blot tests. I would not be concerned that you had a false negative test.

You are suffering from anxiety and should get some help for this. Consult a psychiatrist or other qualified mental health professional, or seek counseling from an AIDS service organization in your area to help you with this problem.

Can't Think Straight
aids dementia