Can't Think Straight

FrDr. Horwath,

First, Thx for taking the time to answer my question. I have been + for 6 years. I am now on Sustiva, Ziagen and Epivir. I was taking Welbutrin but the cost has gotten to high. I am having losts of troble keeping my consentration. My emotions are also way out of whack. I am having troble keeping everything all together (job, home, life). I workout and try very hard to keep my body inshape. There is never any energy to do what needs to be done. I am alone on this planet and need some help. i want to feel happy again?.. am i doing too much?.. how do i pay for everything?.. I was going to counseling but take too had to go because of $$$. I don't think anyone else understands how hard it can be to manage this illness. to stay healthy ... I need some weight lifted off me.. or just to hide somewhere...i find myself snapping at people i love.. where do i go?

Thx for thr venting! Plano TX

Response from Dr. Horwath

From the way you describe your low energy, poor concentration and low mood, you are probably suffering from depression. If you were taking Wellbutrin and it was helpful, perhaps your depression has returned because of stoppoing the medicine.

An alternative explanation is that these symptoms - poor concentration, "emotions way out of whack," low energy - may be side effects of Sustiva. You didn't mention how long you've been taking Sustiva, but it is known to cause side effects such as depression, changes in mood, problems with concentration, and confusion. These type of adverse effects tend to occur most commonly soon after starting Sustiva, but in some people they are more persistent.

You may want to consult your HIV doctor to see how well you are responding to your current HAART regimen. If your CD4 count is low or your viral load is high on this regimen, he or she might want to consider a different regimen. Symptoms such as yours can also be caused by the direct effects of the HIV virus when it is not in good control (ie. high viral load, low CD4 count).

You should also look for psychiatric help or mental health services in your area. I know that the financial and emotional burden of HIV infection is difficult, but there may be some lower cost antidepressants and/or lower cost counseling or therapy available to you. Check with university hospitals or mental health resources in your area to see what is available.

What is happening to me?
two years on antidepressants and testing