Help required, going out of my mind

A few months ago my Brother in Law found out he was HIV+ - this led me to read copius information about the risks, the symptoms, treatment etc. so that I could at least offer some educated support. It has had another effect though on me!

I am convinced I am showing the symptoms of HIV or even AIDS.

I know your advice will be to get tested and I am coming to terms with this but some words of wisdom would help.

I have had a very active sexual life in the past although now married with a child (2 years old). I have had both female and male encounters. Some unprotected female encounters but never unprotected male ones.

So the symptoms are as follows:

Feeling a bit tired

A bit of dizzyness sometimes - can only describe it as a bit like travel sickness

Then on Saturday - and what promoted me to post this - My wife notices a red mark about 15mm wide by about 30mm depth on my back - it had appeared in a day. It was red and slightly raised but by the morning had gone brown, faded a far bit and flat. Its only three days old and seems to be fading.

This set my mind racing and I have convinced myself it is a sign of Kaposi's Sarnoma and therefore of full blown AIDS.

I have never had swollen lympth glands or indeed swollen glands, I am feeling good 80% of the time and the mark on my back has changed colour overnight and faded.

Should I be worried?

If I have full blown AIDS would it be likely that I would have seen more symptoms before this mark appeared.

I know I need to have a test but any words to re-assure and educate me further would be received with great appreciation - I'm going out of my mind

Response from Dr. Horwath

As you said, the primary thing you need to do is to get an HIV test. This will resolve the issue of whether you have the infection.

The tiredness and fatigue could be anything, including anxiety over whether you have HIV.

The red mark on your back sounds more like a bruise than anything else. Kaposi's sarcoma does not resolve over a few days, and if untreated usually spreads to several areas of the body.

But the main thing is to get tested right away. You are probably suffering from anxiety more than anything else.

Husband recently tested HIV+
Norvir + Nardil