Crystal-Meth & HIV/HCV

Im a 38 year old male who has used Crystal for quite some years now. I dont use it as much as I used too, but when I was younger I used to use it in much larger amounts. Ive been a user of Crystal-Meth I would say almost 15 years and a horrible experience with it in California where someone recommended injecting it and I think I had a mini psychotic break because I thought everyone was out to get me and I was scared to death.

I traveled back to Canada in this state and went through that intense paranoid state of mind in California for almost 3 days straight.

Is it possible one can acquire post traumatic stress Disorder from this type of occurrence?

I am gay and take ant-retrovirals such as Combivir, Sustiva, and am also taking medication for anxiety and depression such as Effexor-XR 150mg, Clonazapam 3.0mg, and Zopiclone 10mg in the evening. I am HIV Positive as well as HCV Positive recently diagnosed HCV very minor.

As I mentioned, I used to use it heavily when I was younger, and occasionally now at my present age. I am with someone and find I am unable to feel sexual without Crystal. If I was to stop, would my sexual drive come back? Ive always used it while having sex and am concerned Ill never have a quality of life without the drug in my body.

The carvings for it arent so bad when its not near me to use, but when it is, I use it and find it to be a relief when I use. I know this isnt right, and with all those medications I take, surely I am putting myself at more brain chemistry garbage am I not?

I do want to stop, but I find I have absolutely no sex drive or interest in sex without it. I love my partner, but have no sexual desire without the use of Crystal.

Is there any pharmacological treatment to help me with this or have I screwed myself from having a proper sex life without Crystal?

Your input is greatly appreciated, and your suggestions can at least get me to act on some issues if that be the case and I need to do that.

My partner also uses occasionally but doesnt have the history with it as I do. Wed like to stop all together but find we are without any kind of sexual libido without it. Do you have any suggestions? Thank You in advance.

If you wish to use my questions on your great web site, please feel free to do so.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Response from Dr. Horwath

There is now research evidence that crystal meth can cause damage to certain areas of the brain. If you continue to use crystal meth, you will cause damage to your brain.

The idea that you can only have a sex drive with crystal meth is part of your dependence on this drug. It is a rationale to continue using it even though it is doing you harm. You and your partner need treatment for your crystal meth dependence. With treatment, hopefully you will discover that sex is possible without crystal.

Mental Faculities and Newly Diagnosed
Mental mess: Tested positive, unemployed, no insurance