Mental Faculities and Newly Diagnosed

Dear Dr., I was newly diagnosed a month ago with this illness. My TC4 count is arround 550 and virul load 26,000. I am a overweight, otherwise healthy - well at least I thought - Question - when will the effects of this illness effect my mental state. I am in a complex job - a tax lawayer - and noticed that I have started to forget things over the last year or so - but I am not sure if this is to do with this illness, or it could be the fact that I am just getting older and as we get older, we sometimes forget things .... Or am I worrying too much over this ???

Thanks

Response from Dr. Horwath

Generally, the neuropsychiatric effects of HIV infection (such as memory loss) tend to occur very late in the course of the illness, when the CD4 count is low (< 200) and viral load is very high. For this reason, I suspect that your forgetting may just be part of the process of aging.

However, you should be carefully followed by a doctor with experience treating HIV infection. If you develop more serious symptoms, or your CD4 count falls below 350, or your viral load rises above 55,000, then you should consider starting HAART and discuss the options with your MD.

If you really believe that your memory symptoms are sserious, you can also seek a referral to a psychologist with experience in psychological testing of people with HIV infection. This would help determine if your memory problems are significant or not.

Tumor on Brain and stem
Crystal-Meth & HIV/HCV